Established in 1923, after and as a direct result of the First World War when a schedule with the Cheadle Rural Local United Services Fund Committee, together with the Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Ground Committee, agreed in May 1922 to set aside a piece of ground for a Bowling Club, primarily for the use of Ex-Servicemen.
Further records state that in 1941, the Cheadle Parish Council took a transfer of this public recreation ground 'containing eight acres of land and two bowling greens'. Revised in 1958, the structure then agreed, with the Parish Council agreeing to accept complete responsibility for future maintenance of greens and associated accessories/equipment, has remained largely unchanged to this day, having stood the test of time.
Our full title is therefore rather a long one but as a mark of respect is used as often as is practical : -
Cheadle United Services & War Memorial Bowls Club
The Schedule before referred to: -.
Terms of Agreement Between The Cheadle Rural Local U.S.F. Committee And The Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Ground Committee Dated The 24th May 1922.
1. It is agreed by the Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Ground Committee to set aside a piece of ground for a Bowling Club, to be held by the Bowling Club in perpetuity.
2. The Management Committee of the Bowling Club is to consist of an equal number of Ex-servicemen and Members of the Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Ground Committee.
3. The Ex-servicemens' subscription to be 50% of an agreed subscription but not to exceed the sum of 5 shillings per annum.
4. It is agreed that one day per week should be set aside solely for Ex-servicemen to use the Bowling Green if required.
5. All Ex-servicemen to be eligible for membership, and in the event of having to limit membership owing to too large an application for membership, this clause to carry even to the exclusion of all non Ex-servicemen.
The above concessions to Ex-Servicemen are agreed upon in exchange for the grant of £146. 0s 0d. made by the United Services Fund, to the Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Committee.
Signed : Arthur Carter (Capt.) Chairman Local U.S.F. Committee.
Signed : Earnest MacKenzie. Chairman Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Committee.
Signed : Frederick Holmes. Secretary Cheadle War Memorial Recreation Ground Committee.